Monday 21 April 2014

Bonds beyond Diversity




It was one evening while i walked passed the river corrib,i was irritated to see that the stone on which i usually sit is occupied by an old man in tattered & paint stricken clothes. The man was in his late 60's surely enjoying the river and its serenity with a beer can in one hand and a sandwich in the other. I on the other hand felt disappointed that my place was taken. That Man had those Irish blue eyes and wrinkled face, but there was something about him which compelled me to smile at him, after which he said something which made me blush with embarrassment.
"Hey girl, Don't ask me for money, i don't have none"
he said in a irritated tone. I was shocked and more than that i was angry & embarrassed. Unintentionally i looked down at my top, jeans and joggers and i found them perfect. I tried explaining
"Wait do you think i am a be....???"
"Look girl said i have no money to give you and nor i am going to go out with you"
I looked at him in utter disbelief! He was not listening to me and was judging my smile on such low standards. I was angry beyond limits but i somehow managed to keep my mouth shut and walked past him.
But something inside me stopped me right after few meters and made me turn around. i went charging back towards him. He looked scared now i stood before him and said with smile:
"Do i look like i need Money or Do i look like i am going to mug you"
he still was scared and started mumbling. I pointed towards a small stone and i asked him if i can sit."
"Yes! okay! sit! but if you need money or if you want me to go with you i will not do that i am telling you."
I ignored his accusations yet again, even though i had tears in my eyes now which i could not hold back, but i was determined to clear my position. Controlling my emotions i told him
"Please relax i just want to talk"
He mumbled irritably again and said "ok talk"
I am not sure exactly why i wanted to prove to him so badly that i dont have any material needs, i said:
"I am from Pakistan, i am here to attend a conference and i usually sit at the exact same place every evening. If i smiled at you it doesn't necessarily mean that i need something from you. But as you accused me i want you to know that i am not a beggar or a mugger."
He looked slightly embarrassed but still it felt like he was having trouble believing me. "What you want to talk about?" He asked irritably.
I looked away and started staring at the river, i didn't want to tell him that i was weak.
"I have this habit for years that every evening i sit with my family and i talk about my day, ever since i arrived at Galway, i have no one to listen to me like that. I want to talk to people but i am scared of the cultural differences and that they might not like me. I unintentionally smiled at you because you made me think about my father."
My voice got heavy and i started sobbing even though i tried hard not to. His blue eyes filled with kindness, He knew that i was young, travelling alone and homesick. I dried my tears with my sweater sleeve. He told me he lives with his wife near here and he was painting their home with his wife, out of tiredness he came here to relax. he also added that his children are settled abroad.I nodded in understanding but said nothing, and for few moments we both remained silent, staring at the greying Corrib river, as if understanding each other.
We talked for hours that day, about Family, Friends, God, Psychology, Nature, Travel, Experiences and what not. We laughed hard and we cried too. Time made two people from opposite poles such close friends.
It was getting darker when we realized it was time to leave. He told me not to talk to strangers like that and i understood. He told me to go out with people of your age, initiate conversations, and be brave.
It was a moment of realization for both of us when we shook hands and He said.
"My name is John. what's yours?"
We both laughed loud at that point, and understood so many things without saying them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment